20 November 2013

Brecon Beacons Ultra

It is not my favorite to run loops on a race. It is mentally tough and also I do like to see different scenery. Brecon Beacon is an exception! Fellow runners were amazing (funny is that we always met again and again the same guys :)
The about 46mi course is within a beautiful landscape including a "killer" of a mountain (For de Foel) in between - also the way up to "The Gap" was not a cake walk.
Anyway, I had a fantastic day out there in a race which was amazingly well organised  and taken care of by the Likeys.

http://www.beaconsultra.com


Info:
Nutrition wise:
Morning, before the race - double ham sandwich and black, sweet tea and ... a banana before the start.

The mix of water was a bit to "heavy" - 330ml of Red Bull in 1.5l water is to much caffein again. In addition 1 nuun salt pill.

Every 15k I had about a quarter of a triple sliced, salted, ham sandwich and a handful salted peanuts mixed with crashed potato crisps. Maybe every 10k would have been better - but beside that it was the perfect mix. I also had on each water station about a 5 min break, to sit down and eat calmly.
In between those stops I had from time to time on the uphills a bite on (overall) 4 cliff bars.
The last 12k I had a power gel which was great - since the food over the whole day was not to sweet - I really liked that gel in the end.

Water turned over time to be better ( I had a lot) when the concentration of Red Bull was watered down.

No comments: